You’ve probably heard a lot about the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet but in today’s fast-paced world, it’s not easy to maintain a balanced and healthy diet while making sure you get all the nutrients you need from fresh foods every day. I will give you some simple ideas to include in your diet of some basic ingredients such as honey, from the “pyramid” of the Mediterranean diet which provides you with well-being and gives you the energy you need during the day.
Philosophy and values of the Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet is mainly based on the eating habits that prevailed in Crete but also in Southern Italy. In the 1960s, the Rockefeller Foundation, observing the longevity of both the Mediterranean population, concluded that this was largely due to diet. The Mediterranean (and especially Cretan) diet fully covers the needs of the human body in nutrients. Some of its main ingredients are fresh vegetables and fruits, dairy products, olive oil, red wine, and honey.
Introduce honey to your diet
Honey is one of the oldest sweeteners used by man. Its nutritional value has been appreciated since ancient times, as it was a key ingredient in the diet of the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. They also used it as a raw material for various medicines.
Nowadays, honey consumption becomes a daily habit as a spoonful provides only 65 calories and countless benefits for your body. A spoonful of honey in your hot drink is worth replacing sugar and will help you get rid of sore throats and colds.
Do not hesitate to experiment! Put some honey in the dressing you prepare for your salad or even the chicken. Combine it with your favorite smoothie or give a sweet note to your breakfast by mixing it in your yogurt with nuts or dried fruits of your choice.
Let’s not forget of course that traditional sweets based on honey such as sesame seed bar (‘pasteli’), which combines honey with sesame seeds and a number of nutrients necessary for the daily functioning of the body. Sesame is an excellent source of calcium and minerals that ensures proper functioning of metabolism, bones and muscles, and is a strong ally against diabetes. In our store, you will find velvety handmade Chania pasteli, known as “pastelobukies”, which you can consume at any time of the day calorie guilt free!
Honey – 5 Benefits for the body
Whenever you want to discover practically the beneficial properties of honey all you have to do is try its capabilities in cases like these.
- If you often experience heartburn and stomach aches, learn that according to a study published in the British Medical Journal, a spoonful of honey can protect you from gastroesophageal reflux due to its sticky texture.
- Add honey to your breakfast, cereals, milk, tea or yogurt, as its high carbohydrate content makes it an ideal source of energy to start your day with appetite and good mood
- If you want to deal with insomnia naturally, try drinking a glass of warm milk with a little honey. It has been observed that honey soothes the brain and offers a better and calmer sleep
- Honey is rich in minerals such as potassium, calcium, chlorine and sodium, and vitamins C, A, and B1 which play an important role in the proper functioning of the body and help strengthen the immune system. Simultaneously, its frequent consumption protects against cardiovascular diseases
- Honey is ultimately your ally even in a hangover. The next time you drink a little more make sure that you are “equipped” with honey since its natural sugars help the oxidation of alcohol by the liver. Anyhow, do not drive if you are under the influence of alcohol!
In Rizopoulos coffee shop you will find traditional Cretan honey from thyme and other wild herbs of Crete, as well as ‘pastelobukies’ with almonds, peanuts, and cranberries. This way you always have with you a delicious and wholesome snack.